GALLERY TRAINING GUIDE: 4 Demonstrations
DEMO 1: How to Space Out Works of Art Along the Wall Before Hanging Them.
1. Measure the length of the wall.
2. Add the total width of the artworks together.
3. Subtract that from the length of the wall.
4. Divide the remainder by the number of spaces you will need there to be between the works.
5. Place all the works equal distance form one another based on the number of divided spaces.
6. Check to make sure they are all equal distance before hanging them. Make sure that if the item is a precision hang because of ‘special hardware’ that the work is measured to be perfectly centered ahead of time.
We never want to see a show with works unevenly spaces or looking haphazard!!!
DEMO 2: How to Hang a Work of Art at 60 inches Centered Up from the Ground.
1. Measure how tall the artwork is.
2. Divide that number in half.
3. Add hale the height to 60 inches.
4. Subtract the length of the hanging hardware from the top of the work.
5. Hang the artwork at that height.
6. Use a level to make sure the work is sitting level.
We never want to see a show where all the works are not hung at 60 inches unless it is intentional!!
DEMO 3: How to drill into a wall to make work level and well supported.
1. Demonstrate how to drill a screw into the wall at a right angel by holding the screw parallel to the ground.
2. Demonstrate how to use a stud finder if work feels too heavy to use screws in drywall alone.
3. Always use drywall anchors for screws if a stud cannot be found to screw into.
4. Never hand a work on a single screw or nail. Always support a work with 2 or more from of support.
5. Alwyas double check to make sure a work won't shift or fall.
6. After making sure the work is secure use a level to check that the work is level with the ground.
We never want any work to fall off of a wall for being poorly unsupported.
DEMO 4: The Proper Way to Move Gallery Walls / Pylons.
1. Always use 3 people.
3. Always bend at the knees.
4. Always make sure people are in place before tipping a wall / pylon over.
5. Guide the movebale walls / Pylons into place taking care not to damage them.
6. Always make sure NOT to hit the LIGHTS or the CEILING in the HARRY WOOD GALLERY!
Whoever is working in Harry Wood MUST lay moving walls / pylons down on the dolly before moving them down the hall. Upright they will damage the new ceiling!!!!